Followers

Friday, February 8, 2013

Feeling Is Believing

Over the past two weeks, I have been recovering from surgery.  Not the most splendid time for dumping my slump - there has been more time spent frumpy than fabulous.  Oh, there have been glimmers here and there, but over all  - more pajama time than glamour time.  Bottom line - I just haven't felt like getting after it (any of it...).  I also haven't been able to do much either, which is frustrating.  Putting on mascara has become a 20 minute project.  Driving - fuggetaboutit...
 
To be sure - there are blessings in recovery time.  It is peaceful, quiet, and healing.  It may cause miracles - according to the book of the same name I have been reading by Gabrielle Bernstein.  It may cause business and spiritual fires to burn, according to another awesome book called The Firestarter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte.  Inspired by all I have been reading - I am ready for this recovery business to be done.  Time to take some action to dump some slump. 
 
A few days ago, I shopped (on-line of course)!  Today the prize arrived and here is how the story goes.   Generally I am an advocate of seeing is believing.  I sometimes wonder if I am a secret native of Missouri - The Show Me state.  Today I saw, but really felt and believed again.
 
Part of my weight release journey and dealing with my fibromyalgia included to date the completion of eleven half marathons and four full marathons.  Each event gave me a fantastic medal that I treasure dearly, and I clearly recall the feeling of it placed around my neck just past the finish line.  Each medal has it's own unique story - starting from the dream that chose that event, to the path taken to accomplish it, to the feelings I had during that race, to the moment the medal was placed around my neck, and the time afterward knowing all it took to achieve it. 
 
What arrived today was a medal holder where I can display all half and full medals in one place.  It looked great - and I was thrilled!  I lined up all my medals in date order and put them on the holder.  As I was doing this, and strange as it sounds, I began to feel those races.  I smiled, laughed, and indulged in many a memory.  I felt the rain of the last mile of my first major half marathon in Disneyworld, and the intense heat and salty air of the Kona Half Marathon in 2012.  I felt the surprising icy cold of a December Las Vegas morning in 2006 and remember laughing aloud at strippers running a water stop.  As an Achilles International guide to a disabled athlete in the 2010 NYC Marathon, I felt my arm wrapped around my athlete companion to assist her the last 1.1 miles because together, we were determined that she was going to finish.  I then felt myself push her toward the Finish Line alone because she earned it.  Finally and most sweetly, I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks when a volunteer placed my 2009 NYC Marathon medal around my neck, hugged me tight, and said "you did it, and I love you for it". 
 
Yes - it's true that seeing is believing.  
 
 
But in addition -  Feeling Is Believing. 
 
My mantra - you must feel that you can.  You must think that you can.  There is no better way to dump any kind of slump than to feel that there are possibilities.  After being in recovery mode, today helped to catapult me into feeling that all things are once again possible.  I can feel it again.  There is a time for rebirth, regeneration, and overcoming what some have said is impossible.  Define that for yourself, and remember, feeling is believing. 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment