Followers

Friday, January 25, 2013

Fabulous is Where You Find It - But At Doctor's Offices and Surgery Centers?

This week I witnessed some fabulous people that inspired me to continue my own frump slump dumping.  And fabulous is wherever you find it - and in this case, it was in the medical world. 

I had to have surgery this week - and in preparation, there was a pre-op exam.  Not wanting to take part in this rather onerous activity, I was delighted to find some fantastic ladies and nurses at Park Nicollet Family Practice in Burnsville.  Walking in with a yucky migraine - I just wanted to get in and out.  What I found were lovely, energetic people who welcomed me (yes, welcomed me) to the office, and took fantastic care of me.  More than that - one of the ladies walked into the waiting room wearing a fabulous leopard print skirt and awesome patterned hose.  She was clearly happy with her look and this energized me to not only compliment her, but to engage in conversation with the group.  They were all awesome and they bolstered my mood.  Now these ladies were not super models in the Cindy Crawford sense of the word - they were even better!  They were at home in their bodies, and at home in their looks.  They embodied the absence of a slump and I loved being around them.  They made the onerous more than tolerable and I left them feeling better and ready to face the surgery with a more positive outlook.

Then I met a few more new fabulous friends at the Minnesota Valley Surgery Center (and got a really cool water bottle as a surgical parting gift).  I loved talking to all these interesting people - all with great stories, all dumping slumps of minor and major magnitudes.  On that note, I decided to rock that surgical gown (it was a nice shade of purple which is one of my favorite colors), and though this one was more difficult, the hair net encasing my mane at least let my cheekbones shine through...

Despite the fact that this was not a great week for me, and one mired in migraines and surgical procedures - I was grateful to see the fabulous in others and to have that inspiration resonate in me for my next week, and the week after that, and the week after that...

Sometimes - the best thing to do to dump a slump is to know that today is not your day, but your day is just around the corner.  It may be someone else's day and just celebrate them.  In the meantime, rock what you got when you got it, from leopard print skirts to hair nets to giant casts and slings.  I will be keeping that hair net thing to the bare minimum though...



2 comments:

  1. You are the sweetest!! Thanks Carol for showing us off in your blog!! We were thrilled to see how much you liked coming to Park Nicollet! I hope we see you soon....and well as ever!! You are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sue,
    Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I do love coming to Park Nicollet and think the world of all of you. I'll be thinking about you this week and wishing you all the best and many prayers! Thank you again!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete